Saturday, June 17, 2006

Kate Bush: (Another) Whole Story

This just in:



I have finally updated the Special Artists section of femalefront.com to add a tribute to a very special artist indeed: The amazingly gifted Kate Bush.

I had originally intended "Special Artists" to be the main section of the website, but it turned out to be the one that I updated the least. The music from these artists is so meaningful to me, that it's difficult to properly express in writing, and Kate has been the biggest challenge so far; but I gave it a shot, and I think that the resulting wall o' text is testimony to her influence on me.

This particular tribute was prompted by my finally purchasing her long-awaited album Aerial (pictured above). One thing I didn't point out in the review was the amazing album cover. To me, it initially looked like what it is: A series of jagged rock formations rising out of a still lake, with a sky of honey reflected in the water. But if you look carefully, you'll see that the image also resembles a spectrograph -- a picture of sound waveforms, similar to how a heart monitor graphs cardiac activity. How fucking cool is that? (Rhetorical.)

So, if you're brave enough and have lots of free time, click here to go directly to the article; or here for the "Special Artists" section's main page.

No comments: