Thursday, July 06, 2006

Much Re(tro)spect


As previously mentioned in this space, I've been waiting for the new disc by the UK band Retrospect to arrive via Royal Mail. Well, I finally got it last Friday, so now I can give the band a proper review; and I am very happy to say that this CD was worth the wait. Although several tracks are available for streaming on Retrospect's Myspace page, it's amazing what a difference hearing it on a proper CD can make.

Long Hair Short Memories is the title of the album, and it is very good as both a title and an album. I can't help but think that the title refers to Retrospect's contemporaries, who may have forgotten their Rock and Roll roots. Well, this disc proves that Retrospect did not forget. On this album, I heard everything from classic 50's Rock chords to 70's Soul, all filtered through a stripped-down 90's Alternative sensibility. At times, I was reminded of Throwing Muses or The Sundays, two bands that were prominent on this station when it was first launched. (On the other hand, I could be way off about the title; "Long Hair Short Memories" could just be referring to the band members' penchant for forgetting where they parked the van.)

In my earlier post about Retrospect, I mentioned frontwoman Charlene Jones' guitar skills, but it couldn't hurt to mention it again. Although she gets her thrash on in a couple of tracks, she also displays a soft touch with some leads, showing her versatility. Oh, and apparently she was trying to break the world record for the longest sustained guitar note on the marathon track "Stoned Cold"; hey guys, let me know if the Guinness people called you back!

Yet now that I have the CD, it is Charlene's voice that stands out to me the most. Her vocals are always fun and genuine, but there are times when she really lets herself soar on a pretty melody, and the result is a surprisingly confident-sounding vocalist. What makes a lead singer interesting is not necessarily her technical skill (although Charlene has that as well), but her ability to convince you that she belongs nowhere else but the front of that stage. This relaxed assurance comes across on the CD, and I can only imagine how much fun it is to see Charlene, Andrea and Rich playing live.

In fact, I would say that if Retrospect keep up the live gigs, then they should garner a large following in the UK, at least if people have any sense. Hopefully, the CD will be available for purchase soon, and you'll be able to check them out for yourself.

As of this writing, I haven't yet decided which tracks to add to the playlist, but the winners will go into rotation this weekend.

Update: The THREE tracks that I added were: "No Not Now", "White Side" and "Please". This band gets better with every listening.

No comments: